The Red Cycle attempts to quash the menstrual taboos, misleading myths, social stigma, misconceptions, commoditisation of the biological process etc. by putting in efforts to identify such issues and to put forth a set of workable solutions headed Right of Women to Menstrual Hygiene (RWMH). The RWMH is our approach to deal with the health, hygiene, social, political and environmental issues related to menstruation.
1. Awareness to Women and Men ; Girls and Boys.
- About the biological process and it’s importance.
- Encourage menstrual hygiene and use of eco-friendly and alternative menstrual hygiene practices.
- Against menstrual taboos, misleading myths, social stigma and misconceptions around menstruation and against commoditisation of the biological process.
- To increase the confidence and competence amongst girls in dealing with the period.
- Pros and Cons of all existing menstrual hygiene products.
- Need of proper disposal system for soiled menstrual hygiene products.
- Men’s and Boys’ involvement in Menstrual Hygiene Management.
2. Ensure Availability and Affordability of Menstrual Hygiene Products.
- Ensure and promote availability and use of sustainable and safe alternative menstrual hygiene products.
- Ensure access to menstrual hygiene products under Institutional and Sectoral responsibility in schools, colleges, cinemas and other necessary public places.
- Statutory regulations on the contents of absorbent hygiene products.
3. Proper Disposal of Menstrual Hygiene Products.
4. Menstrual Health Care Facilities.
- Anytime health advice helpline for women.
- Special helpline for adolescents.
- Counselling and proper health care and sanitation facilities in schools.
5. Identification of Target Groups of Menstrual Hygiene Management.
- Community level.
- School level.
- Vulnerable, marginalised, special cases.
6. Implementation and Sustainability of RWMH
- Building Partnerships – Self Help Groups, Non- Governmental Organisations, Schools etc.
- Curriculum Development.
- Gender sensitisation.
- Quality assurance.